Thursday, March 6, 2008

hmm . . . v1.0

I literally can not believe how easy it was to get this thing started. Provide an email address, click a few buttons, don't read the Terms of Service that someone like me wrote, and "PRESTO!" you are the proud owner of a blog. As it turns out, opening a window to my deepest thoughts is easier than ordering a pizza online. I have to ask if its this that is flawed, or if its the pizza ordering.

Today's Beef: Intentional Mispronunciation

As a 3L, I have MORE than enough time to sit around, observe and then ridicule other people. Many people think this is how I have spent my life to date -- but they would be wrong. I went on vacation once in 2005. HA!

Anyways, I have a professor who likes to say "Voila!" in class when we reach some sort of conclusion. However, she always pronounces it "viola" like the instrument. Someone even called her on this a few days ago -- and she ignored it. This leads me to believe that she intentionally mispronounces the word -- and that shit is infuriating!

The reasons for such mispronunciation are varied. But, my guess is that its one of two things. One, she is part of a group of friends who find the mispronunciation hilarious (kind of like my friends and the Russian accent). Two, she thinks the word is absolutely worthless and the mispronunciation is her way of commenting on it (like the people who spell segue and rapport as "segway" and "repore"). Regardless of which of these it is -- its not funny or a comment on anything to do it in a patent class.

Be responsible . . . law students are not really that smart and if you start mispronouncing words to them, they are likely to adopt your approach and the next thing you know -- "Viola!" has become the dominant pronunciation of the word.

No comments: