Wednesday, June 4, 2008

new day . . . new post

Today was a big one. Hillary Clinton finally announced an end to her campaign, which makes my jokes about painting her and Ron Paul with the same brush dated and passe. This is kind of depressing (the loss of the joke), but drives home the point that when you write something that hinges on pop culture, it has a shelf life of approximately 13 minutes. Such is life I guess.

Also, today Naveen Haq (Jewish Federation shooter) was granted a mistrial. I literally can not believe that. The jury was in deliberation for 8 days. The last time I was on jury duty, we deliberated for a day and a half -- which seemed like a decade. All that we had to figure out was if the crime was first or second degree murder (defendant admitted to killing the victim during direct testimony). I can not imagine deliberations with 15 charges and affirmative defenses. No, thanks.

Bar prep is what it is. If you haven't been through it, there is nothing I can say to fully explain what it is like -- but I will give it a shot anyways. Boredom, stress, a mountain of work and the occassional moment that blows you away. You realize that the three years and countless dollars spent earning your J.D. didn't teach you a thing about the law. This is a somewhat disconcerting realization.

1 comment:

Patrick Peringer said...

when I went for my J.D. I just read the cliffs notes for a few days and got a 63% on my bar exam. I think this is probably why I am still to this day a poor musician. Maybe there are other professions that I can get into without having to take an exam.....maybe like I don't know marketing, hotel management, and other such jobs that would pay well for me and led me to a life of unfulfilled enjoyment in an artless, materialistic world. Yeah, I'll probably do that.

Pass the bar, be my lawyer, we will win!